Job Opening: Executive Director, San Bruno Mountain Watch
download Job Description pdf document
San Bruno Mountain Watch is a grassroots non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and stewardship of San Bruno Mountain, just south of San Francisco. San Bruno Mountain is a 3,000-acre intact native wilderness that is home to 13 rare and endangered species. For over 40 years, San Bruno Mountain Watch has fostered a community of enthusiastic volunteers and dedicated board members who work to protect, preserve, and restore this unique biological treasure.
Under the general direction of and working in partnership with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be responsible for the development and management of the organization’s finances and programs, fundraising, and community relations. The ideal candidate will have an enthusiastic commitment to the environmental mission and spirit of San Bruno Mountain Watch and will be able to lead and articulate our mission in a concise, compelling manner to diverse constituencies.
- Identify, cultivate, and nurture relationships with current and potential donors
- Manage giving campaigns and initiatives
- Initiate and oversee foundation and corporate grants
- Oversee the development of professional communication and marketing materials
- Build the capacity of Board of Directors and staff for outreach and solicitation
- Staff the BOD’s fundraising subcommittee and oversee fundraising
- Act as chief financial officer, in coordination with treasurer and board, to implement financial planning and budget management
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work and see that the organization operates within budget guidelines
Human Resources and Office Administration
- Manage all of the administrative functions of the organization, including but not limited to marketing, public relations, finance, and office management
- Manage contractor and vendor relationships
Program Development and Management
- Assure that the programs (stewardship, conservation, education and advocacy) are successful in achieving the organization’s goals and mission
- Develop and implement new programs as needed
- Oversee management of our nursery/stewardship program
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with public agencies, businesses and non-profit groups.
- Oversee all public communication, including letters, proposals, emails, social media, website, and newsletters.
- Manage outreach, public relations, and social media relationships with other non-profits and government agencies
- Ability to successfully pursue potential funding opportunities and write grants if necessary.
- Fluency in relationship building and partnering with local, political, community, and affinity organizations
- Excellent team leadership capabilities, an inclusive management approach and a track record of motivating volunteers to achieve measureable results
- Technical literacy and comfort in working with fundraising database systems and creatively manipulating complex data
- Superior oral and written communication skills as well as ability to work effectively with staff and volunteer colleagues across the department and organization and establish and foster collaborative relationships
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-moving environment, using tact and diplomacy in dealing with confidential and sensitive matters, and ability to work well with diverse groups of people
- Track record of successful fundraising, including grant writing, social media campaigns, donor recruitment and retention, and organizing fundraising events
- Experience with branding, outreach and community building
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree and/or record of continuing professional development preferred
San Bruno Mountain Watch is located in downtown Brisbane, California, just south of San Francisco.
Application Deadline: September 14, 2014:
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit a resume and cover letter including current salary requirements:
Please contact us through email only.