Job Opening: Nursery Manager, San Bruno Mountain Watch
deadline: August 18, 2015
download Job Description pdf document
San Bruno Mountain Watch (www.mountainwatch.org) is a grassroots environmental nonprofit that has been preserving and protecting San Bruno Mountain for over 45 years. San Bruno Mountain, located just south of San Francisco, has some of the most intact remnants of native Franciscan ecology, and is home to three federally listed endangered butterflies, despite being completely surrounded by urbanization. Our organization runs ongoing volunteer-based stewardship and outreach programs and advocates for the conservation of this unique area.
We're currently searching for a part-time nursery manager (24 hours/week) to manage and run our 4,000 square foot Mission Blue Native Plant Nursery. The nursery grows plants that are propagated from seeds collected by volunteers on San Bruno Mountain for restoring native ecosystems on the mountain as well as for government ecological restoration contracts, and public and private plant sales.
We also have a separate listing for a part-time stewardship coordinator for our volunteer restoration program. If you are interested in combining jobs for a full-time position, please let us know in your cover letter.
Native plant nursery management will include:
- Running nursery operations and maintenance including gathering seeds, cuttings, and the propagation of plants
- Growing in the nursery and the field for seed production
- Maintaining equipment and grounds
- Ordering supplies, keeping inventories, records, budgets, and collecting data
- Leading volunteers in nursery work parties and plant sales
- Finding and overseeing interns
- Interfacing with county park and government officials regarding propagation contracts
- Responsibility for the fulfillment of restoration contracts
- Knowledge of San Francisco Bay area native plants and native plant propagation techniques
- Background or training in horticulture, botany, and/or ecology
- Experience recruiting, motivating and managing volunteers and interns
- Proficient computer skills in word processing, Excel spreadsheets, database, Mac and PC, GPS and mapping apps
- Strong organizational and data collection skills
- Nursery management and restoration experience
- Able to identify symptoms of and treat plant disease and deficiencies
- Experience with irrigation and building a plus
- Experience working in a nonprofit with volunteers
- Ability to hike rugged trails, carry and load 50lbs, do physical work including planting and digging, comfortable working around poison oak
- Hours: 24 hours/week: at least Mon, Wed, Fri, or could do more frequent half days. Tue-Fri during first month of training.
- Compensation: $18/hr
How To Apply
Email cover letter and resume to KJensen@mountainwatch.org by August 18th. We are an equal opportunity employer. Applications will be evaluated as they arrive. No phone calls please.